What We Do
The Hold On To Your Butt (HOTYB) program aims to raise awareness about the environmental
impact of cigarette butt litter on our oceans, waves and beaches, and to help eliminate cigarette butt litter in Ventura and beyond. Cigarette butt accounted for 34% of litter items collected at our beach clean ups in 2015. Often littered on our sidewalks and streets, they end up in our storm drains and ultimately the ocean.
Environmental Impacts of Cigarette Butt Litter
- An estimated 4.5 trillion cigarette butts are disposed of in our environment annually worldwide
- Cigarette butts leach toxins when wet, posing a threat to marine and wildlife.
- Litter clean up costs the U.S. over 11 billion annually, cigarette butts represent an estimated 32% of that litter.
- Cigarette butts are composed of cellulose acetate, a non-biodegradable plastic, which can take up to 25 years to decompose.
- Littered cigarette butts pose a significant fire threat.
How You Can Help
SPONSOR A COMMUNITY ASH CAN
Community ash cans reduce cigarette butt litter and improve the quality of business districts
for residents and visitors. The ash cans are affixed above the ground in high foot-traffic locations.
Your business or organization can become a “local partner” by sponsoring a Community Ash Can and immediately improve our community. Your sponsorship will help reduce the impact of cigarette butt litter on our oceans, waves, and beaches. You will be recognized on Surfrider Foundation’s website and through other media outlets for your contribution to our community.
If you’re interesting in volunteering in our HOTYB program please shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved today!
COMMUNITY SPONSORED ASH CANS
HUGE thanks to the following businesses and community members for sponsoring ash cans and helping us keep toxic cigarette butt litter off of our streets, out of our storm drains, and ultimately out of our ocean.