Are you interested in: Educating the public about sustainable landscaping? Getting your hands in the soil? Changing public policy? Then volunteer with us. Also, we have monthly meetings every the 3rd Tuesday 6:30pm at the Surfrider office: 872 Front St., #110, Ventura.
What’s the problem? Urban runoff is the #1 source of ocean pollution. In Ventura, storm drains and farm runoff funnel into the ocean un-treated, polluting our water with motor oil, synthetic fertilizer, and other contaminants during heavy rain. Click here for more info about the causes of pollution.
The solution – home, business and public properties can all help prevent this runoff by turning their space into an Ocean Friendly Garden. OFG gardeners apply “CPR:”
C – Conservation – Conserve water, energy and wildlife habitat by using native and climate appropriate plants.
P – Permeability – Allow air and water to percolate downwards. Healthy soil, mulch, and limited hardscape sponge up water.
R – Retention – Retain water in the ground, not in the streets. Direct rain gutters into low areas in the yard & create curb cuts to capture street flow.
Also, check out this list of easy steps on how to make your garden more ocean friendly!
Converting Your Yard
- Do it yourself – here’s a great design guide created by G3/Green Gardens Group.
- Materials – coming soon. Contact your city for sources of materials like mulch. In Ventura, you can get it for free at Cornucopia Community Garden.
- Map of gardens – Check out the map of OFGs here. The map reports include plant lists, designs and
- List of Professionals – If you can’t do it yourself, hire a pro! Those on the list have passed G3/Green Gardens Group’s Core Concepts Workshop exam, which qualifies you to be a watershed evaluator following the OFG criteria.
- OFG Water-Wise presentation – view slides
Want to learn how to get money for taking out your water-loving lawn?
Find out how through the City of Ventura’s Water Wi$e incentive program!
Stay Updated On Chapter Activities – join our Facebook Page.
Volunteer – email firstname.lastname@example.org for info on upcoming events.
Click here for landscape design templates that you could adapt to your landscape.
Click here for a video of our most recent curb cut in action!