Surfrider is fed up with pollution. As a response to increased plastic pollution in the coastal zone and ocean gyres, Surfrider Foundation Chapters started an Ocean Friendly Restaurants program. A main goal is eliminating EPS foam foodware (aka Styrofoam) because it is a top item found at our beach cleanups. There are other types of pollution and issues that restaurants can help with so we added criteria such as conserving water and serving responsible food. Scroll down for a list of ‘OFR’s.
Click Here to register your restaurant or food truck as an Ocean Friendly Restaurant. Volunteers wanted! Please scroll down for incentives for volunteers to sign up restaurants such as a Patagonia / FCD package and restaurant gift certificates.
Why do we need Ocean Friendly Restaurants?
EPS foam foodware (cups, plates, ‘clamshells’, etc.) is a top item found at Surfrider beach cleanups and EPS foam does not biodegrade in our lifetimes. It may photodegrade and/or break into small pieces if littered, which are harder to clean up.
Animals can mistake EPS foam for food or nesting materials and although inexpensive to buy, EPS foam litter can be expensive to clean up.
Americans use an estimated 500 million plastic straws every day and restaurants use an average of 5,800 gallons of water per day.
What are Ocean Friendly Restaurants?
Restaurants participating in the OFR Program MUST follow these four criteria:
1. No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam) onsite or to-go.
2. Proper recycling practices are followed.
3. Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining and utensils to-go are provided only upon request.
4. No plastic bags offered for takeout orders.
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
5. Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
6. No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
7. Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
8. Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis. All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch.
9. Water Conservation efforts such as low flow faucets and toilets.
10. Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances.
Implement all 10 of the criteria to be recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant!
Benefits include promotion to more consumers through: social media, our website, emails, community events and beach cleanups and collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members. Optional marketing collateral includes: OFR window sticker, table tents, and bill stuffers / info cards.
We need your help to register restaurants throughout Ventura County. From June 1st through October 1st we are running a contest with the following prizes:
Sign up 1 restaurant and get a reusable straw!
Sign up 3 restaurants and you also get a Surfrider t-shirt!
Sign up 6 restaurants and you also get a $25 gift certificate!
Sign up another 6 restaurants and get another $25 gift certificate!
Most overall restaurant sign ups gets an additional $100 gift certificate!
Most overall restaurant sign ups that include a conversion away from styrofoam gets a $100 gift certificate plus a prize package from Patagonia / FCD!
Please share this info with any restaurant owners or managers you may know.
Please email email@example.com for more details and any questions.
Ocean Friendly Restaurants in Ventura County: