The Surfrider Foundation Ventura Chapter is looking for a team member to join us in the line up! The primary focus of this position is to support event planning needs.
This part-time Chapter Coordinator position typically requires a minimum of 8 hours/week, with a maximum of 12 hours/week (with potential for an increase in hours). The ideal candidate is aware of the evolving nature of the position and is able to juggle and prioritize a variety of tasks with a flexible schedule.
Reports to: Chair of the Executive Committee, with supervision by the Regional Manager.
Event Planning, Administrative & Communications:
- Provide administrative support to the chapter Executive Committee (or EC) (i.e. calendaring, fielding general telephone/email inquiries, etc.).
- Provide logistical support (i.e. transporting tabling materials from storage) for chapter meetings, beach cleanups, and other outreach events as needed.
- Oversee design, ordering, and storage management of merchandise and outreach materials for sale and distribution at events and meetings.
- Plan and execute chapter events (International Surfing Day, annual fundraiser, volunteer appreciation, core volunteer trainings).
- Maintain and expand communication with chapter members and volunteers via electronic platforms including email, newsletters, website, social media.
- Assist with publishing and distribution of e-newsletters.
- Help maintain WordPress-based website in collaboration with a volunteer webmaster and IT support. Work with social media volunteers to provide fresh content and steward community and business partners.
- Assist with data entry as needed.
*Each category under primary responsibilities is subject to change. Tasks could weigh more heavily in one area than others from week to week; for example, during key policy developments, such as an upcoming city ordinance, or in the weeks leading up to Earth Day or International Surfing Day, etc.
Development & Membership:
- Assist with outreach efforts including giving educational presentations, coordinating media interviews, interfacing with members of the public at events.
- Fundraising campaigns ie- seek out corporate-sponsored Beach Cleanups, local restaurants to solicit them to become an Ocean Friendly Restaurant to grow both programs, etc.
- Assist EC with partnership agreements and communications.
- Support EC in identifying, creating, and strengthening strategic partnerships with key businesses and organizations with similar values.
Programs & Policy:
- Attend Executive Committee meetings as needed.
- Attend select committee, City Council meetings, Coastal Commission meetings, etc, as needed.
- Distribute summary reports to appropriate committee members as needed.
- Knowledge of Surfrider Foundation mission, and a willingness to make sure events, partnerships, and social media content reflect Surfrider’s mission.
- Strong time management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Basic knowledge of coastal environmental issues, particularly in Ventura.
- Basic geographical knowledge of Ventura and willingness to travel within Ventura County.
- Strong computer literacy: Gmail, google docs (Mailchimp e-newsletter experience is helpful)
- Social media literacy including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
- Strong organization, communication, and social skills.
- Accurate math skills to assist with cash, check and credit card donations and merchandise sales.
- Flexible schedule; varying daytime, weekend, weeknight meetings.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse partners.
- Must have own vehicle with auto insurance.
- Must be able to clear background check to work with children.
- Must have the ability to lift 25/50 pounds regularly.
HELPFUL, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience with volunteers in a non-profit setting.
- Access to larger car or vehicle helpful for transporting supplies at times.
- Spanish and translation proficiency.
- Advocacy experience.
Salary – $15/hour (Approximately 8-12 hours per week)
Position will remain posted until filled – early submissions are strongly encouraged.
Please email a resume and a cover letter as a .pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Surfrider Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.