The Surfrider Foundation Ventura Chapter is looking for a team member to join us in the line up! The primary focus of this position is to support the chapter’s volunteer Executive Committee with communications and administrative needs, while also focusing on developing the chapter to its full potential, increasing environmental victories and the presence of Surfrider in our community.
This part-time position requires a minimum of 8 hours/week, with a maximum of 12 hours/week (with potential for an increase in hours). The ideal candidate is aware of the evolving nature of the position and is able to juggle and prioritize a variety of tasks with a flexible schedule.
Reports to: A designated member of the Executive Committee, with supervision by the Regional Manager.
Administrative & Communications:
- Provide administrative support to Executive Committee (or EC) (i.e. calendaring, fielding general telephone/email inquiries, etc.).
- Provide logistical support (i.e. transporting tabling materials from storage) for chapter meetings, beach cleanups, and other outreach events as needed.
- Oversee design, ordering, and storage management of merchandise and outreach materials for sale and distribution at events and meetings.
- Plan and execute chapter events (International Surfing Day, annual fundraiser, volunteer appreciation, core volunteer trainings).
- Maintain and expand communication with chapter members and volunteers via electronic platforms including email, newsletters, website, social media.
- Assist with publishing and distribution of e-newsletters.
- Maintain WordPress-based website in collaboration with a volunteer webmaster and IT support. Work with social media volunteers to provide fresh content and steward community and business partners.
Development & Membership:
- Assist with outreach efforts including giving educational presentations, coordinating media interviews, interfacing with members of the public at events.
- Fundraising campaigns ie- seek out corporate-sponsored Beach Cleanups, local restaurants to solicit them to become an Ocean Friendly Restaurant to grow both programs, etc.
- Assist EC with partnership agreements and communications.
- Support EC in identifying, creating, and strengthening strategic partnerships with key businesses and organizations with similar values.
Programs & Policy:
- Attend Executive Committee meetings as needed.
- Attend select committee, City Council meetings, Coastal Commission meetings, etc, as needed.
- Distribute summary reports to appropriate committee members as needed.
*Each category under primary responsibilities is subject to change. Tasks could weigh more heavily in one area than others from week to week; for example, during key policy developments, such as an upcoming city ordinance, or in the weeks leading up to Earth Day or International Surfing Day, etc.
- Knowledge of Surfrider Foundation mission, and a willingness to make sure events, partnerships, and social media content reflect Surfrider’s mission.
- Strong time management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Basic knowledge of coastal environmental issues, particularly in Ventura.
- Basic geographical knowledge of Ventura and willingness to travel.
- Strong computer literacy: Gmail, google docs (mailchimp experience is helpful)
- Social media literacy including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
- Strong organization, communication, and social skills.
- Flexible schedule; varying daytime, weekend, weeknight meetings.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse partners.
- Must have own vehicle with auto insurance.
- Must be able to clear background check to work with children.
- Must have the ability to lift 25/50 pounds regularly.
HELPFUL, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Management experience with volunteers in a non-profit setting.
- Access to larger car or vehicle helpful for transporting supplies at times.
- Spanish and translation proficiency.
- Advocacy experience.
As soon as possible.
Please email a resume and a cover letter as a .pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday May 4, 2018.
The Surfrider Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.